An Informal Glossary
Makiko Tada has been making kumihimo for thirty years. She has kindly allowed me to share her knowledge of kumihimo here.
The names of the braids all have meaning, here are some as well as other helpful words:
- chidori - plover
- dai - a stand
- Edo- former name of Tokyo ; an old name (the Edo-period;1616~1867) of Tokyo
- fukuro - small bag (used to hold weights)
- Genji - another name for the Minamoto family ; a family name of strong SAMURAI in the Kamakura period (1185~1333). So Genji is a
- name given to a strong braid.There are many Genji braids, for example, Hira-Genji, Edo-Genji, Kozakura-Genji, Genji-kou, Yamato-Genji and so on. Genji-kou is a
game of incense ( to guess a name of incense).
- gumi - to plait, to braid (same as kumi)
- himo - string, cord, braid, band , strap
- Hira - flat
- ito - thread, yarn
- kagami - mirror, top of the marudai or kakudai
- kaku - square
- kakudai - square stand for braiding
- kara - Chinese or foreign
- kawari - change, variation ,modified
- kinu - silk, silk thread
- kongoh - strength, ( ex. kongoh seki= diamond, seki= stone )
- kumihimo wo simasuka? - Are you braiding?
- kumi - to plait, to braid (same as gumi)
- kumihimo - plaited cords, braids
- kumikata - braiding method
- Kozakura is a small cherry flower.
- kumite - braiding , there are two meanings, one is Tedori (movement of threads, braiding method ), one is a braider. te = hand
- tedori movement = of threads, braiding method
- kusari - chain
- maru - round
- marudai - round stand for braiding
- oimatso - old pine tree
- se - a stream with small pebbes by the water
- shige - frequently, busy, heavy
- tama - lead-weighted, wooden spools
- tedori - movement of threads, a braiding method. For example; in all the Genji type kumihimo, there is a common Tedori
- (movement of threads) which is called Genji-tedori. You can classify by Tedori, for example kongoh yotsu, Edo-yatsu, yatsuse, kaku-yatsu, hira-genji, sasanami, karakumi, naiki,
kotoji, hirakara and so on. Almost of all Kumihimo is made with the combination of tedo
- uchi - braid , beat with bumboo sword
- yatsu - eight
- yatsu se gumi - Se is means a stream with small pebbles by the water.
- yotsu - four
- Yamato - is the old name for Japan.
Comments or questions?
Updated November 15, 2000
Copyright © 1996-2000 Janis Saunders. · All rights reserved.
Page offered by sandiego.com